Sunday, 16 June 2013

Difference One Continued (Christian Perspective)

Christian belief of unchaning absolute truth:

Many references can be found in the Bible to support the Christian belief in truth. Not only in truth however, but the fact that it is unchanging and eternal. This aspect of the Christian Faith stands as a polar opposite to the ideals and beliefs of Post Modernism (in this particular area of  the issue of ultimate truth and it's malleability and consistency (discussed in previous post). In the Bible it states that, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever..." Hebrews 13:18, and, " God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24, and, " When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth.." John 16:13, and, "Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it."Isaiah 46:9-11. The very foundations of Christianity are reliant on the fact that God is unchanging and that His words of truth are everlasting. There is no 'quest' for truth because it can be found quite easily in God's Word - the Bible. With this lack of a grey area surrounding the idea of truth, other aspects which are related to the consistency and relevancy of truth which Post Modernism supports (discussed in previous post), suddenly have to become questionable. For example, our morals from a Christian perspective are no longer our own, they are no longer relevant to our personal beliefs about them or dictated by our situation and most importantly they are not flexible. Christianity is all about truth. The truth which we know from reading God's promises in the Bible,“Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other, I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you. " Isaiah 45:22 Christians are certain about their truth - Their God speaks it in His Word, and His Word is unchanging. It cannot be disputed. By choosing to accept that truth, a Christian is no longer his own master. His morals are now from God and are also unchanging. His very character is molded and his lifestyle is directed towards an eternal, loving and perfect God.

"...Morals are not flexible in Christianity..."

No comments:

Post a Comment